less is really more

I have been searching and researching this new minimalist lifestyle that I am hearing about everywhere.

I began my journey following the duo The Minimalists on IG…. check them out. Basically, their take is to find the value in your daily life without the excess that we bury ourselves in each day. This leads to comparison, depression, anxiety and a host of other illnesses that pretty much piggy back off of each other.

Some minimalist have the extreme ideology to live with less than 100 items in their homes including the home and cars. Now at first their take for me seemed a bit extreme at first… I mean only 100 items, that alone took care of my hair products and bathroom necessities alone. Every negative excuse I could think of kept popping up in this head of mine.

Shut up Jada and keep reading.

Minimalism is a tool that can assist you in finding freedom. Freedom from fear. Freedom from worry. Freedom from overwhelm. Freedom from guilt. Freedom from depression. Freedom from the trappings of the consumer culture weโ€™ve built our lives around. Real freedom.

I have to say this style of living seems all too familiar growing up. We were not amongst the 1% sometimes not event the other 99% lol but we were able to maintain and afford the necessities and a few luxuries.

The looks I stumble upon courtesy of my bae Pinterest, seems to involve neutral colors, earth tones, lots of plants and basic accessories.

I really like this last one with the DIY table and night stand. It definitely feels like home growing up and right up my alley for a DIY!

These pictures just give me peace and zen looking at it so I had to go for it and try it out…..small steps so the bathroom is first.

I started with my bath tub area. Unfortunately, I cleared out everything before taking a before shot. Now my bathroom is red from the previous owner so the lighting wasn’t as clear. We’re moving soon so this neutral theme will take place at our new home.

I love candles…. my ideal bathroom has loads of candles surrounding the tub, so this will do for now.

I have plants…. I’m surprised they’ve lived so long to be truthful.

I tossed the clutter out. I actually felt a bit of relief. My tub had three soap dish holders, body wash bottles, loofahs, scrubs, razors, toys, scattered around aimlessly. Now some might say isn’t that just a good old fashioned cleaning? Sure but the object is to toss out the old, keep ONE item of product and not accumulate. Not allowing the clutter to reappear and distract you from what’s more important.

This may not work for everyone, in fact you don’t have to go as far as clearing all items out. If you have an eye for decorating and the need to have a beautiful home then by all means go for it. The object is to get you into a space that is clean, clutter free and ultimately gives you a chance to focus on what has intangible value in your life and how you can obtain more of it. To not give so much emphasis and value to things.

It gives you freedom from worry.

Life FEELS completely different when you don’t force it.

So I hope you will follow along on my minimal lifestyle quest. This isn’t a process that happens overnight. I’m sure I will fall back many times before accomplishing this process, it could take several years before you actually grasp the concept. Baby steps! Start with a 21 day challenge and grow from there. But it’s worth the wait to me!

Xoxo,

Jada

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “less is really more

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s